Be certain that your pool is not leaking water before covering. Serious structural damage can occur if leaks go undetected through winter.
You should continue to run your filter and to chlorinate your pool until you are ready to close for the winter even if the pool is NOT in use.
When you are ready to close the pool:
- Vacuum your pool completely and adjust pH range to 7.2 to 7.6. Super shock your pool with BLUE SHIELD SANI SHOCK or BLUE SHIELD 12.5% SHOCK.
- Add BLUE SHIELD WINTERIZER and BLUE SHIELD WINTER TABS (follow dosage charts). Pour the winterizer directly into the pool.
- Tie Winter Tab dispensers securely in place, whereby they are not touching or are close to the pool liner. DO NOT TIE THE WINTER TABS TO THE ICE EQUALIZER PILLOW(S).
- Use a separate rope. For best results, run the filter for 4-8 hours after application.
- Backwash the filter. Apply BLUE SHIELD LIQUID PUMP PROTECTOR through the skimmer. This will provide protection against pump corrosion.
- Water level: It is not necessary to lower the pool water. Remove the basket and weir door (flapper) from skimmer.
- Seal the skimmer opening with a LID’L SEAL or PROLINE SKIMMER PLATE. Install a PROLINE SKIMMER SAVER inside the skimmer. This will help protect against potential ice damage.
- Remove return fitting eyeball and seal it with a PROLINE WINTER PLUG
- Disconnect all filter hoses. Drain and clean the filter & pump and store indoors. It is not recommended to leave a filter or pump outdoors during the winter.
- Remove all articles from your pool such as the ladder, stairs, mats, over the wall skimmers, pool alarm, etc.
- Blow up the ice equalizer pillow using a shop or canister type vacuum and set ice equalizer in the center of the pool.
- Tie the ice equalizer in place to the side of the pool to prevent shifting during winter shut down. Extra ice equalizers may be used to fit particular needs.
- MOST COVER WARRANTIES ARE VOID UNLESS THE ICE EQUALIZER IS USED. The ice equalizer is designed to absorb the ice pressure.
- Secure the cover in place using cover clips, cable and locking winch or a combination of both. Do not hang filled plastic bottles from the cover can cause tearing and void the warranty.
- Prior to freezing, pump any excess water off the cover. Remove any debris (leaves, sticks, etc) from the cover.