Everybody loves to swim, especially when it’s hot out! It is one of the most popular summer activities for all ages. There are so many things you can do in the pool, whether it’s for a quick dip, playing some pool games or even swimming some laps. The one thing that’s not great about the pool is the damaging effects of chlorine.
Steps to Limit the Damaging Effects of Chlorine
Chlorine is used as a disinfectant to kill harmful bacteria in your pool. Not only does this kill all of the germs, but it strips the natural oils from your skin and hair that keep it healthy. Here are a few things you can do to prevent chlorine damage to your hair and skin.
1. Before getting in the pool, take a quick shower and make sure your hair is wet. If your hair soaks up tap water first, it will slow down the absorption process of the chlorinated water.
2. After getting out of the water, WASH YOUR HAIR! The longer the chlorine is in your hair, the more damage it can do. While soap and water might not always do the trick, there are some products that are designed specifically for the treatment of chlorine. For a list of products, check out this article for healthy-hair summer essentials.
3. If you are looking for a cost-effective treatment, try this simple DIY hair rinse. The apple cider vinegar and baking soda work together to neutralize the chlorine. This solution is also great for neutralizing the chlorine from your bathing suit. Before getting in the shower, fill up a large ziplock bag with the solution and put your bathing suit in. Once out of the shower and dressed, you can dispose of the solution and rinse off your bathing suit with water.
4. Since you can’t protect your skin from the effects of chlorinated water while in the pool, it is important that you take action once you get out of the pool. If you have sensitive skin, it might be a good idea to invest in some chlorine removal body wash. This ensures that all of the chlorine is off your skin.
5. Chlorine is drying, so make sure that you use a moisturizer that is especially for dry or damaged skin.