CHECKLIST FOR WINTERIZING YOUR ABOVE GROUND POOL
BE CERTAIN THAT YOUR POOL IS NOT LEAKING WATER BEFORE COVERING. SERIOUS STRUCTURAL DAMAGE CAN OCCUR IF LEAKS GO UNDETECTED THROUGH WINTER SHUT DOWN FROM ICE MOVEMENT.
Important: You should continue to run your filter and to chlorinate your pool until you are ready to close for the winter even if the pool is NOT in use. When you are ready to close the pool:
- Vacuum your pool completely and adjust pH range to 7.2 to 7.6. Super shock your poolwith BLUE SHIELD SANI SHOCK or BLUE SHIELD 12.5% SHOCK.
- Add BLUE SHIELD WINTERIZER and BLUE SHIELD WINTER TABS (follow dosagecharts). Pour the winterizer directly into the pool. Tie Winter Tab dispensers securely inplace, whereby they are not touching or are close to the pool liner. DO NOT TIE THEWINTER TABS TO THE ICE EQUALIZER PILLOW(S). Use a separate rope. For bestresults, run the filter for 4-8 hours after application.
- Backwash the filter. Apply BLUE SHIELD LIQUID PUMP PROTECTOR through theskimmer. This will provide protection against pump corrosion.
- Water level: It is not necessary to lower the pool water. Remove the basket and weirdoor (flapper) from skimmer. Seal the skimmer opening with a LID’L SEAL or PROLINESKIMMER PLATE. Install a PROLINE SKIMMER SAVER inside the skimmer. This willhelp protect against potential ice damage.
- Remove return fitting eyeball and seal it with a PROLINE WINTER PLUG
- Disconnect all filter hoses. Drain and clean the filter & pump and store indoors. Ifunable to do this, you MUST follow the manufacturer’s winterizing instructions on anyfilter or pump left outdoors. NAMCO does not recommend leaving a filter or pumpoutdoors during the winter.
- Remove all articles from your pool such as the ladder, stairs, mats, over the wall skimmers, pool alarm, etc.
- Blow up the ice equalizer pillow using a shop or canister type vacuum. Set theappropriate size ice equalizer in the center of the pool. Tie the ice equalizer in place tothe side of the pool to prevent shifting during winter shut down. Extra ice equalizersmay be used to fit particular needs. MOST COVER WARRANTIES ARE VOIDUNLESS THE ICE EQUALIZER IS USED. The ice equalizer is designed to absorb theice pressure.
- Secure the cover in place using cover clips, cable and locking winch or a combination ofboth. DO NOT hang filled plastic bottles from the cover. These will tear the cover andvoid any cover warranty.
- Prior to freezing, pump any excess water off the cover. Remove any debris (leaves,sticks, etc) from the cover.
Click here to download the Pool Winterizing Checklist.
Click here to view the How to Winterize Your Above-Ground Pool video.